Our Club History
Optimist Clubs are one of many service clubs and Optimist International has been in existence since 1911. The Optimist Club of Hamilton is the oldest existing Optimist Club in Canada and began in 1924. At the right is a photo of our valued charter from 1924.
Members are individuals who are interested in working for the betterment of their community. Although Optimist International has set goals for certain projects, each club runs additional events to meet the needs of their own community.
The Optimist Club is family oriented. Family and employment comes first, being an Optimist Club member comes next. Although there is a need for a strong involvement and commitment, there is no judging of Optimist Members who have families or beliefs which might stop them from volunteering in certain activities.
Optimists are individuals with varying backgrounds, but a team working together for one purpose. Families are encouraged to get involved. These are just a few of our members representing countless combined years of volunteering for youth in our community.
THE PURPOSE OF THE OPTIMIST CLUB OF HAMILTON "FRIEND OF YOUTH"
- To develop optimism as a philosophy of life utilizing the tenents of the Optimist Creed.
- To promote an active interest in good government and civic affairs.
- To inspire respect for law.
- To promote patriotism and work for International accord and friendship among all people.
- To aid and encourage the development of youth, in the belief that the giving of one's self in service to others will advance the well-being of humankind, community life and the world.
For our 90th Anniversary we had this special logo. Join our club to be part of our very special 100th Anniversary Celebration in 2024!